Tooth Extraction Aftercare
If you have had a tooth extraction please follow the below advice to help to socket heal quickly and to reduce the chance of any post extraction infections.
- Do not eat until anesthetic has worn off
- Avoid very hot drinks or food for the remainder of the day
- Avoid alcohol for 24 hours
- Avoid smoking for 24 hours
- Do not rinse your mouth at all for the first 24 hours, as this may disturb the blood clot in the socket.
- Do not prod or poke the blood clot with your finger or tongue as this may disturb the clot and cause bleeding
- If the socket does bleed, sit upright in a chair and use one of the packs provide or a clean cloth or handkerchief (do not use paper) and bite firmly or squeeze firmly down on the socket. Continue this pressure for 15 minutes
- After 24 hours rinse the socket with warm salty water 2-3 times a day until the socket has healed. This will prevent food debris from trapping in the socket and help aid healing